I am a new landlord, what are my legal obligations before renting out my home?

  • You will need to ensure you have buildings insurance in place as a minimum requirement. Additional insurance for contents is also advisable if you’re providing furniture.
  • If you are part of a development and paying an annual service charge, this charge will include your contribution to the block insurance policy.
  • Please make sure your service charges are paid up-to-date.
  • Does your property meet the advised minimum standards in rented accommodation, as provided for in current legislation? We will go through this with you, and advise where required.
  • Your property will require a current Building Energy Rating (BER) before it can be advertised. The BER is a certification which is valid for 10 years from when it is issued. We can assist in organising a registered BER assessor to carry out an assessment and issue the certification if it’s required.

Other than the above, the focus when renting for the first time is to prepare your property ready for viewings and subsequent occupation.


Compare listings